General Division (Civil and Criminal)

Where can I get Court forms?

You will find user friendly court forms on-line at the following websites both on the Forms page of the Manitoba Courts website and the Manitoba Laws site.

If you do not have access to a computer, you may purchase court forms at any Manitoba Court Centre.

Can I find Court forms or Rules of the Court online?

You can find information on the Laws of Manitoba at https://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/statpub/index.html

Once you are at this Internet site, click on " Enter Manitoba Laws" to find specific information.

Can I access the Court Registry System online?

Yes, you can access the Court Registry System online at https://web43.gov.mb.ca/Registry/

What are the fees that I will have to pay to file court documents?

The Court Services Fees Regulation regulates all court fees.

Acceptable methods of paying court filing fees are described at: Province of Manitoba | Justice - Courts Division.

Security for costs must be paid in guaranteed funds (certified cheque, bank draft, money order, cash or debit).

How can I obtain a copy of my Court Order?

You must attend to the Court of King's Bench Centre in Manitoba in which your court file is located. Court staff can photocopy the order for a fee. The Winnipeg Centre court office located at 408 York Avenue has a coin-operated photocopier for your use.

Can I obtain information on my file without the file number?

Yes, court staff can complete a search by using your full name.

I have been served with court documents. What should I do?

Court staff cannot provide you with legal advice. You may wish to represent yourself in proceedings before the Courts, however, it is recommended that you consult with a lawyer about your rights and all available remedies or outcomes that can be sought from the court.

How do I find out the balance of money being held in Suitor's Trust?

Court staff can complete a search using your file name or file number.

What is a Statement of Claim?

A Statement of Claim is an originating process in the Court of King's Bench that is used when one party is suing another party.

How do I enforce a court order or judgment?

A common misunderstanding about the role of the Court is that the Court is responsible for enforcing or ensuring that its orders or judgments are followed. This is not the case. If a person is successful in obtaining a judgment or an order in his or her favour from the Court, it is up to that person to take whatever steps they consider necessary, in keeping with the law, to enforce the order.

How do I obtain a Garnishing Order?

You can obtain a garnishing order after you are successful in your court case and receive a Judgment. You should refer to The Garnishment Act for more specific information.

I have had my car repaired and am disagreeing with the amount being charged by my mechanic. Can I file under The Garage Keepers Act so I can get my car?

Yes, you can if you are the owner of the vehicle and have a copy of the bill or are prepared to swear an affidavit as to the amount outstanding. You must attend to your local Court of King's Bench Registry Office. You will be provided with the proper forms, which you will be required to complete. You will also be required to pay into Court the full amount of the outstanding bill plus 10% of the bill or $50.00 (whichever is less) as a fee. You will then be issued with an order to release your vehicle. You will be required to give the order to the garage keeper who will in turn release your vehicle to you.

How do I file a Small Claim Appeal?

Information on how to file a Small Claim Appeal can be found on the Small Claims FAQ page.

Information on this page last updated on December 13, 2022